Inspiring pot plants with a 15% discount offer
There is no doubt that, whether inside or out, an arrangement of pots with the right plants is a visual treat. Although it isn’t always easy to know what to put where and to what effect. Here we ask Naomi Barin of Dangar Barin Smith to give us the benefit of her expertise in terms of choosing and caring for plants plus some visual inspiration from the Robert Plumb image library to get you thinking about what might work in your courtyard, living room, balcony or garden. And finally…. we have an offer on a number of our planter options from locally hand-made ceramic and steel pots through to our ever-popular Swisspearl pots in a lightweight fibre cement.
PLANTING FOR SMALL, MEDIUM AND LARGE POTS
A collection of Swisspearl pots and products in natural lightweight fibre cement, from Switzerland.
- Indoor plantings – typically low water use species (succulents) are best as there isn’t much water retention in a small pot.
- For larger pots you need to consider drainage. We often use a pot within a pot so there is no need for a drip tray.
- It’s often a good idea to take plants outdoors for some natural sunlight, and to give them a good soak.
- Wipe down indoor plants weekly – they catch dust, especially larger leaf plants.
- Don’t overwater! Most indoor plants only need watering every 2-4 weeks (depending on species).
- Take plants outside once a month in warmer weather and douse with a liquid fertiliser and seaweed solution.
- Ensure adequate drainage so plants aren’t sitting in pooled water.
From left: Osaka pot W700 D700 H540mm, Sumo pot D450 H500mm, Osaka pot D900 W900 H700mm.
STYLING WITH POT
Painted Gary pots, available in 4 sizes starting from D500 H400mm.
Sumo and Spindel pots from Swisspearl.
- Groupings of pots work well, and we often use the same pots in three different heights.
- Unusual and large succulents and cactus make a confident statement.
- Make sure the plant is the correct scale for the pot.
- Line pots with geofabric to prevent particles of soil washing through the drainage hole.
CARE OF OUTDOOR POT PLANTS
- Ensure pot has good drainage.
- Plants have to suit the microclimate of the pot and position in the garden or outdoor space.
- Always prune dead/dying vegetation.
- Mulch will help retain moisture.
- Check regularly for pests and diseases as plants in pots are more susceptible.
Locally made custom steel pots.
Use succulents like Agave attenuata and opt for fewer pots and go for larger vessels. We typically, for the outdoors in courtyards, balconies and terraces, use oversized planters with low water requirement plants.
Bonsai pot and Sumo pot from Swisspearl.
- Large succulent species
- Graphic plants
- Massed groupings
- Broad leafed planting for indoors e.g., Fruit Salad Plant, Dwarf Umbrella Tree, Devils Ivy
Raw galvanised Gary pots and Delta 100 pot from Swisspearl.
BEST POTS TO BUY
Enjoy 15% off on the full purchase (not including delivery) if you purchase 2 or more pots.
Available online and in store.
Use code POTS15 to redeem the discount online.
BEST SINGLE POT – KOLONNA POT FROM SWISSPEARL
Available in 3 sizes starting from D600 H500mm, $660. Limited stock available!
BEST TRIO FOR OUTDOORS – BONDI POT BY CAMERON WILLIAMS
Available in 3 standard sizes, D400 H400mm, D400 H600mm and D400 H800mm, starting from $530. A selection of 13 finishes to chose from, 8-10 weeks lead time. Custom sizes available upon request.
BEST GROUPING FOR INDOOR – BODALLA POT BY DEAN BATTEN FOR CAMERON WILLIAMS
Available in 3 standard sizes, D180 H180mm, D240 H200mm, D300 H250mm, starting from $120. A selection of 3 glazes available. Lead time 8-10 weeks, custom sizes available upon request.
BEST PAIR – SUSHI AND SUMO POT FROM SWISSPEARL
Sushi pot D500 H500mm, $640. Sumo pot D350 H400mm, $410. Both are currently in stock.
BEST SHAPE COMBINATION – SPINDEL, KYOTO AND DELTA
Spindel pot D560 H920mm, $705, Kyoto pot D530 H550mm, $470, Delta Confetti D500 H250mm, $340.
BEST LARGE POTS FOR IMPACT – GARY POT
Gary pot D500 H400mm, $610, D600 H500mm, $850, D700 H600mm, $1,070, D800 H700mm $1,280. Available in 12 painted finishes, all sizes in stock currently. Please allow 2-3 weeks for painting. For orders of larger quantities (10 pots and above) please contact the showroom.
Photography by Prue Ruscoe, Michael Wee and Chris Warnes.